Congratulations on your decisions to travel Australia. Here is a comprehensive post on how to get your Australian tourist visa in India
How and where to apply?
The only mode of for application is through VFS centers. You cannot apply online, you (or your travel agent) will have to visit one the VFS centers and apply there manually
Does Australian tourist visa gets rejected?
Yes, it does. In fact, two in our group of six could not get the tourist visa even after second application. On an average, Australian embassy gets 800 various visa applications daily. So you yourself do the math
Self-application or through travel agents?
I would suggest you go for self-application if you have strong credentials
In case of weak credentials, take help of only those travel agencies which you know can maximize your chances of visa grant. Ask tricky case question from the agent. Here is a list of acceptance/rejection scenario from my little experience
- 35 K salary + private company + account balance of 1 Lakh – Will be rejected
- 50 K salary + private company + account balance of 1 Lakh – 50 % chance that it will be rejected
- 35 K salary + government company + account balance of 1 Lakh – Can be accepted with strong support document from immediate family
- No job + Sponsorship letter from family residing in Australia – Will be rejected
Note: Above situational assessment is as per my opinion
Is an appointment for submitting application required?
No, it is not required. You can just drop into a VFS center on any working day before 1 PM with you complete application
- Filled up form 1419 (Always check for updated one on VFS website). If you apply through agent then form 956 is also required
- Demand Draft in favor of “Australian High Commission”, and payable at New Delhi – Fees is INR 7200 (check for updates fees on VFS website)
- Notarized copy of all pages of current passport. Notarization can also be done at VFS center after payment of nominal fees. Just carry photocopies of all pages
- Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) in a plain background and without spectacles (Don’t use your usual photographs – go to a photography shop, they know everything). It is not mandatory to print the name of the person on the back of each photograph
- Financial documents:
- Copies of bank statements (salary account and savings account) showing transaction of last 6 months – stamped and certified by bank
- Salary slip for last three months (not mandatory but will support your case)
- Taxation documents of last three years
- Documents which show any other funds or assets held (very important in case of low salary)
- Invitation from your inviter (family/friend) in Australia (if you have one), and his/her passport and status in Australia
- Letter from you employer stating your position, length of employment, confirming your leave of absence and the name and contact details of the person providing the letter
If you are a student: bonafide certificate from your institute stating the purpose
- Travel itinerary and bookings
Is return travel ticket required?
No, it is not mandatory for the application. It does not even increase your chances for visa grant. However like me, I sure you would only think of applying once the tickets are done. So if you have a return ticket, there is no harm in attaching it with your application
How early should you apply?
As early as possible. Most of the travel agent will suggest you apply two or even one month ahead of your scheduled visit and not before that. This is utter bullshit.
The tourist visa is granted for a period of one year having multiple entries with each stay stretching not beyond 3 months.
Early application will only give you a breathing space for reapplication in case of rejection. So apply as soon as possible
How long does Australian Embassy take for processing application?
Minimum 20 working days. However, for one of our friend they took more than 30 days for decision
What makes strong credential?
The most important and trickiest part. In my opinion, fulfilling below mentioned points can maximize your chances:
- You should have a full-time job with a decent monthly salary:
- Minimum 50 K in case of private firm
- Minimum 35-40 K in case of government firm
- You should have two bank accounts – a salary account and a savings account, each having a minimum balance of 1 Lakhs
- If you feel you don’t have strong credentials for above two options, then go ahead and take sponsorship letter from your parents along with all financial document (salary slip, stamped bank statement, tax documents)
- Leave approval from company starting position and length of employment
- Invitation letter (not support letter) from a friend/family residing in Australia and his/her residentship document
Can I deposit/transfer huge sum of money at one go into my account?
Don’t do it. They will flag it out and outrightly reject your application.
If you want to, deposit multiple small amounts (like 10-15K) at considerable intervals. You be the judge
My friend/blood relative stays in Australia. Should I take sponsorship letter from him?
Absolutely NO. The sponsorship letter will render an impression of your financial incapability to travel and further return from Australia (Australian embassy doesn’t recognize return ticket as a valid document for return)
Having said that, I would, however, recommend you to definitely take invitation letter for your proposed visit on his/her company letter pad
I already have visited many countries before. Will it help my case?
Of course, it will. If your US tourist visa, I am sure there won’t be any problem.
On contrary, if you don’t
My account balance is not sufficient. What should I do?
Wait for 3-4 month before buying the ticket. In the mean time keep transferring small amounts in the the account.
Will my spouse / would be spouse get visa on basis of my credentials?
Yes I think. You would required you marriage certificate. If getting married then you would require support letter from both the parents along with your wedding card
Format for leave application
To Whom It May Concern,
I write to confirm that as per our records …………….. (Employee ID) has been employed with us since ……………. and is currently designated as a ………………. in …. department ……
He would be on leave from …….. to ……….. and will resume work on ……………
This letter is issued to him on his request for his visa application
Format for cover letter
The Visa Officer,
The Australian High Commission
New Delhi, India.
Re: Cover letter for tourist visa application.
I would like to kindly apply for a tourist visa to cover my intention to travel to ….. , Australia on dates …… and returning back to India from ….. on ……. My main purpose for this travel is tour …….
Please find the below items that are attached herewith for my application:
- Notarised copy of all pages of Passport
- Return Flight tickets
- Invitation letter form the inviter and his relevant documents
- Financial Documents – Bank statement and Tax documents
- Employment Documents – Leave approval letter and salary slips
- …… Any other doc …
I trust that you will find that everything is in order, and these will remain at your disposal for any further information you may need.
Thanking you in advance for a favorable reply to my application.
Yours very truly
Format for invitation letter
To Whom It May Concern,
Application for tourist visa: Name, DoB and Passport number
I am writing to confirm that I wish to invite ….. to visit me in …… for …days in order to have a short holiday. I hope he will be able to come on ……
I am … (residentship status)…. working at ….. I will be on vacation at that time.
I am able to accommodate him for the duration of stay in Australia. Please find attached evidence of my accommodation.
I have enclosed following document:
1. Copy of passport
2. ..(residentship status document) ..
3. Tenancy agreement
Should you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me
Have a wonderful trip to Australia !!!