Hampi is backpacker’s paradise as most of the accommodations have cropped up keeping a backpacker’s requirements in mind. And if you think such no-frills accommodations are not your cup of tea, then you should probably look for a stay in Hospet city itself but if you up for it then welcome to Hampi.
River Tungabhadra has divided Hampi not only geographically but also culturally into two parts: Old Hampi and Virupapur Gaddi (refer image below). While old Hampi is for family and explorers alike, Virupapur Gaddi is only for the “hippy” in you.
Old Hampi – Vipupaksha temple side stays
This part of Hampi is connected with Hospet with road and regular buses and auto ply from Hampi bus stand (near Virupaksha temple). Limited homestays are available in this part and are usually overbooked especially during long weekends. Also if you are planning to explore Hampi ruins, then you should stay in this side of the river. Some of the better accommodation on this part are:
- Funky Monkey (+91 94805 69326) – One of the best place of the region in terms of value for money (Room starts from INR 500). There are options of rooms with shared washroom and rooms with attached washroom. No AC rooms though. The best part of the place is the restaurant and food. Although I didn’t stay here, I frequently came here for the food
- Thilak Home Stay (+91 94499 00964) – Costlier (INR 1500+) but has AC rooms.
- New Lakshmi Tourist Home (+91 94810 9364) – Clean rooms with attached washrooms but had no AC (INR 1000 – 1500)
- Other good places to stay are Herman’s Guesthouse (+91 094815 64419), Ranjana Guesthouse and Rocky Guesthouse (Overpriced though)
Virupapur Gaddi side stays
This is most commonly known as Hippie island or Hampi island. In order to reach this part of Hampi, you will have to cross the river in a coracle. If your plan to unwind and do nothing, this part of Hampi will excite you the most.
The island is almost one straight road which is lined with shacks and hotels on its sides. Pick any hotel you like – a mud house, a tent or concrete house but book in advance especially when visiting over the weekend or vacation
- Sunny guest house (+91 94485 66368): It has beautiful mud houses and a beautiful garden. Prices for room starts from INR 1500
- Gopi guest house (+91 9481871816): Cheap but usually overbooked. It also serves some of the best food in the region
- Other good places to stay are Shanti Guest House, Sai Plaza